The following, regarding Robert Miller and his family, was extracted from the book, History of Washington County, Pennsylvania with Biographical Sketches of Many of Its Pioneers and Prominent Men (Boyd Crumrine, editor):
Robert Miller was a resident of the territory before it became Washington County. He took up under the offer of Virgnia to settlers several tracts of land for which he received a Virginia certificate in 1780. One was surveyed Jan. 3, 1787, under the name of "The Cell," and contained three hundred and eighty-nine acres. It was at that time adjoining lands of Matthew Ritchie, William Hays, George Frazer, Robert Miller, Matthew Johnson. A warrant was granted to him by the Board of Property dated March 25, 1795, and returned April 1st, the same year. On the 27th of October, 1793, he sold ninety acres of this tract to Joseph McCombs. Another tract containing three hundred and eighty acres, called "The Valley," was surveyed Jan. 3, 1786. This tract was adjoining Joseph Brown, John May [see Alexander May], and Matthew Ritchie. Patent for it was obtained in May, 1798. One hundred and one acres of it was sold May 16, 1794, to Nathaniel Caughey, and two hundred and one acres, April 13, 1795, to William Kerr. On the 28th of April, 1795, Robert Miller authorized Craig Ritchie to make a deed for John Hays and Nicholas Smith of a tract of land containing four hundred acres, adjoining land of William Kerr, John McCombws, Matthew Johnson, William Hays, and others, "in such sort that Joseph Hays is to have one hundred and one acres whereon he now lives, and Nicholas Smith the remainder where said Miller lived." Prior to the execution of the deed Miller moved to Kentucky. Joseph McCombs purchased ninety acres of land Oct. 27, 1793, of Robert Miller, and lived there till his death. He had seven or eight daughters who became widely scattered by their settlement in life. Joseph Thompson, a native of Ireland, emigrated to the eastern part of Pennsylvania, where he lived several years, and in 1802 came to this township and settled northeast of Canonsburg, where he had purchased forty acres of land. He had three children, ---Joseph, William, and Elizabeth. Joseph married Hannah, daughter of Thomas Bracken, and settled on Pigeon Creek. William settled on the home farm, and lived there till his death. His son Joseph settled in Canonsburg over fifty years ago, and is still a resident. Elizabeth became the wife of a Mr. McMillan, and settled on Pigeon Creek near the Newkirks.
Crumrine, Boyd (ed.), History of Washington County, Pennsylvania with Biographical Sketches of Many of Its Pioneers and Prominent Men (Philadelphia: L. H. Everts & Company, 1882).