The following, regarding Joseph Brown, was extracted from the book, History of Washington County, Pennsylvania with Biographical Sketches of Many of Its Pioneers and Prominent Men (Boyd Crumrine, editor):
Joseph Brown took out a warrant for a tract of land March 1, 1785, and warrant for another tract April 15, 1786. The first was surveyed as "Bon Ton," containing two hundred and two acres, adjoining land of Sarah Wait [see John Waits], Joseph Brown, and John Daniel, or Donnell. This tract was patented Nov. 24, 1791, after it came into possession of William Kerr, who bought it Sept. 11, 1789. The second tract was surveyed as "Bellgrade," and contained three hundred and sixty-seven acres; this tract was adjoining lands of John Daniel, or Donnell, Matthew Ritchie, and David Reed, and was on the banks of Miller's Run. This also was sold to William Kerr at the same time as the other, and patented Nov. 25, 1791. He sold two hundred acres to William Cook, who lived there many years, and left three daughters and two sons, who are all dead except Mrs. Thomas McConnell. The farm is now owned by James White, of North Strabane township, and is occupied by his son Samuel. William also sold to James Jewell, his son-in-law, nearly the whole of the remainder, who lived there many years, and went to Ohio, where the family of Mrs. Jewell then resided. Mr. Jewell sold the property to different parties. Joseph Burnside pruchased forty acres,where his son George now lives. About 1845, Nathan Tannehill purchased one hundred and thirty acres, where his son James now resides. Joseph Lindsey purchased a portion of the farm before the sale to Jewell, now owned by James Moore. Thomas Weaver bought of James Jewell eighty-six acres in 1848.
Crumrine, Boyd (ed.), History of Washington County, Pennsylvania with Biographical Sketches of Many of Its Pioneers and Prominent Men (Philadelphia: L. H. Everts & Company, 1882).