The following, regarding Venice, was extracted from the book, History of Washington County, Pennsylvania with Biographical Sketchies of Many of Its Pioneers and Prominent Men (Boyd Crumrine, editor):
The town of Venice was laid out by James McLaughlin in 1844, on land formerly owned by Ephraim Johnson and ------ Welch. It was bought by Samuel McLaughlin, who owned the mill property on Miller's Run at that place. A post-office and store were opened about 1848. The mill has been operated many years. At an early day it was owned by David Andrews, who sold to one Walker, and he to William Berry. It descended to his son John, who sold to McLaughlin. It is now owned by J. Byerly.
Venice contains a store, post-office, school-house, two carriage shops, two blacksmith shops, and about ten dwellings. The people of this section worship at the Miller's Run Presbyterian Church and the United Presbyterian Church.
Crumrine, Boyd (ed.), History of Washington County, Pennsylvania with Biographical Sketches of Many of Its Pioneers and Prominent Men (Philadelphia: L. H. Everts & Company, 1882).