The following, regarding Muse, was extracted from the book, Cecil Township Bicentennial Celebration: Our 200th Birthday, 1781-1981:
The Village of Muse, a mining town, was built in 1923 by the National Coal Company, a subsidiary of U.S. Steel, on what was formerly the Weaver, Hall and White Farms.
According to a July 19, 1923 newspaper report, the new mining town was being planned on a large scale for the miners who would be employed at the National No. 3 mine.
At that time, 75 homes were constructed with an additional 50 under construction and a total of 300 expected to be built.
The town, in time, was named for Charles A. Muse, then superintendent of coal shipments for H.C. Frick Coke Company.
A company store was also built for the mining village at a cost of $30,000.
The mine was equipped with the latest in electrical apparatus. The machinery was electrically driven throughout the mine.
O.D. Black of Canonsburg was named the first superintendent at the mine. A spur would be built from the Montour Railroad to service the area.
Operations at the mine began August 20, 1923, according to local newspaper accounts.